Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Gym Face.

I was sitting in the hot tub at the gym this evening. It felt amazing...

This was the first time that I wasn't completely surrounded by large hairy men...so I was pretty happy about that. Another thing that I was happy about was that there were 3 relatively attractive girls in there as well. The mathematical equation for this scenario looks like this:

lack of large hairy men + 3 relatively attractive girls = Jon in a generally happy mood

So naturally in this generally happy mood, I smiled at the people around me. I thought I was just being friendly...throwing some positive vibes out into the universe. The funny thing that I noticed is that no one seem to want to accept my positive vibes. I would look towards them and they would quickly look away...completely afraid to make eye contact with me. They would rather stare at the wall than have to start a conversation with the jolly fellow next to them.

I understand this "I just want to work out and get the hell out of the gym" mentality. But I feel like if we all just started smiling at each other in the hot tub...we would be generally happier in our day to day routine. I mean we all see faces we recognize from the neighborhood busting ass in spandex, smelling like shit on the treadmill...why not strike up a conversation. This may make for a warmer next encounter at the local watering hole or coffee shop.

Just a thought.

1 comment:

  1. I like that they are described as "relatively attractive girls." I think there was something about that on an episode of How I Met Your Mother...many relatively attractive females together gives the illusion that they are all really hot. Haha :) I agree about the smiling. People are extremely anti-social and makes it seem as though they have something to hide.

    ReplyDelete